l

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Forget regret or Life is yours to miss


Since I have been blogging for 2 days, friends had been advising that the best way to go is to post more pictures as a picture is worth... about $0.17 at Costco. That shows how cheap our thousand words are.

One of the things I am looking forward nowadays is to one day move into my own house. A place where I can truly call home. Up till now, I feel like a nomadic leaf, travelling aimlessly wherever the wind blows. Ever since leaving Ipoh at the age of 17, I have never stayed put in a place for more than 2 years - KL, London, Kulim, Penang, Folsom (California) and Hillsboro (Oregon). Why did I choose to finally settle down in Arizona? Wife, job, cheaper housing, nice chinese church, nice weather 7 months of the year (not the 5 hot 120'F summer months), people our age, accessibility to malls/restaurants, night life and IKEA.


The picture above was taken 2 months ago whereas the one on the left was 2 weeks ago. The builders here are quite efficient and they can finish a house in less than a year. I just regret not buying the house earlier when I had the opportunity. I finally made the decision 3 weeks later and it cost me an extra $12000. The property market during the summer was crazy with huge waiting lists and lotteries. According to reports recently, houses in the Phoenix area increased 45% in value from last year. Unfortunately the property market now has kinda cooled off due to higher interest rates and more homes availability. I really really wish that my house price would continue to increase meteorically but anyway, I should be contented that it is $20000 higher now after 6 months.


Here is da 'hood where our new house will be. It is in a community called Maricopa Meadows in a small sleepy hollow town called Maricopa. This city was incorporated in 2003 and population was around 1000 then. Not sure what the number it is now, probably around 5000 people I guess. Yeah, to put it Malaysian perspective - Maricopa is much smaller than Kulim. It is around 20 miles (20 minutes to Chandler) so we do get a mixture of small town and big city living. Ahh... then I do get to spend some private time alone driving to work with my second wife, my Toyota Camry. :)


The picture here is how our house will look like when it is completed (Snapped a neighboring house to give you an idea). Our color will be a coconut husk color and will have 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms with 3212 square feet of space. It will always be open for visitors who wants to stay with us. It is such a blessing that next Feb/March we will be able to move in. Ever since I was a child, I had stayed in small rented homes and also in a small house. So this is a dream come true, thanks to God.



In the meantime, I'll just be contented staying in our rented apartment with our IKEA furniture... and with my wife. (She has been such a blessing to me, cooking and cleaning and doing all the things wives are supposed to do ;) )

5 Comments:

At 11:11 PM, Blogger Bee said...

:D :D.. yes, post more pics. Wow, everything looks good for your house. Can't wait to see it's completion. Lila looks good.. :)
send my regards to her...

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger Lester said...

Nice house, Ernie. Everything looks great! And that Arizona warm weather is making me feel homesick now.

BTW, you still look the same as you did when we were "small" boys in college (maybe hairstyle's a bit more macho now!).

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Boon said...

Agree with bb and Lester. Excellent looking house, Ernest. We'll accept your invitation. I'll be over for the house warming in Q1 next year ;)

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Laurence Lee said...

Hey Ernest, nice pictures. At last you have a place to settle down and call "home". :)

.... for the time-being, if you know what I mean. :)

 
At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

debt consolidation

 

Post a Comment

<< Home