l

Monday, December 12, 2005

Home


“Another aeroplane
Another sunny place
I’m lucky I know
But I wanna go home
Mmmm, I’ve got to go home

And I’m surrounded by
A million people I
Still feel alone
Oh, let me go home
Oh, I miss you, you know

Let me go home
I’ve had my run
Baby, I’m done
I gotta go home
Let me go home
It will be all right
I’ll be home tonight
I’m coming back home” – excerpts from the song Home by Michael Buble

My music taste has been more adult contemporary these days. I do prefer the old fashioned mature skewing music from the likes of Michael Buble and Norah Jones instead of the manufactured pop sounds of today's younger artistes. Imagine my surprise when I saw Michael Buble's tv concert for the PBS tv channel last Sunday. (PBS is a public broadcasting channel supported by donations from the public and they air nice programs occasionally like concerts, theater, etc). Though some might argue that probably his career was due to his svengali David Foster (who also has Josh Groban under his wings as well as help produced hits for Celine Dion, Chicago, etc)... I do think that he is talented and has a good voice. During one of the donation breaks, a PBS broadcaster mentioned that he was discovered when David Foster attended a wedding in Canada and was impressed by this wedding singer. Haha... not just Adam Sandler's a good wedding singer. So David Foster gave him a contract and the rest they say is history. Sometimes we might just need one shot, one big break to succeed but unfortunately most of the time I am not that lucky. Arggghh, now I got my wife hooked on him and she thinks that he is cute.

Actually, I've been thinking about home. It has been more than a year since I've went back to Malaysia. Always wondering how my family is doing even though I do call back occasionally. As I might be there next February or March, I'm really looking forward to it and I do wonder has anything changed. Before that, I do hope to complete all my house stuffs before I can leave with peace of mind. Recently, I've discovered a South-east Asian restaurant called Oasian (which has Malaysian food) in Mesa, about 15 minutes drive from Chandler (where I am staying). It is owned by an Ipoh-born cook and now it has become my temporary fix when I miss Malaysian food. When I was in Folsom California, I had to drive 3 hours to San Jose to get Malaysian food and now I don't have to do that anymore now. Pictured here is roti canai and it cost $2.50. Kinda expensive for some cheap floor and dough.

I'm slowly trying everything from the menu. Here is the nasi lemak and it cost $7.50. I think it is ok and I find it not really special because it seems kinda simple to make. Hahaha, I remember last year I was bunking in with a good friend Mak and our nasi lemak was a disaster. Tried to blend all the chili to make the nasi lemak hot gravy but it was too spicy and in the end, I think we threw it all away. The ikan bilis on this nasi lemak is not bad though.

However my favorite is this curry mee. It is not too expensive at $6 and the bowl is huge. It has all the ingredients you can find in a Malaysian curry mee including the green beans, yellow mee, tofu, fish balls. However it is better because it has several big shrimps and it is very filling because of its big portion. Now my mouth is watering thinking about it as I write. This weekend I will try the prawn mee (or in Penang called the hokkien mee) and later on, the ipoh bean sprout chicken, kow low yook (tall man meat) rice, duck rice, fried noodles, etc. Perhaps home is not too far away after all.

3 Comments:

At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm.. Ernie.. next time visit Malaysia remember to buy malaysia food cook book or Mummy secret recipe book for malaysian food.
Learn how to cook em..
and then can start own Malaysia restaurant.

I am sure the return is high since raw material cost is cheap. :)
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Bee said...

The food looks yummy. When you come back to Ipoh, get some msian curry, eg... I bought lots of laksa powder, gulai powder... we even cooked gulai ikan kembung in FM...

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Boon said...

food, sure looks good, dude. makes me wanna drive to Milpitas for lunch today! Woohoo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home