l

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Peace on Earth, Goodwill to Men

First of all, to those who reads my blog... MERRY CHRISTMAS! Yeah, Christmas is sometimes a bit depressing for me. Why? Since I'm getting more Americanized or perhaps Westernized, I always don't know what to buy when Christmas approaches. This is true especially fwhen it comes to my wife and her family and this adds a lil bit more pressure. I do buy things for my wife throughout the year and what is so special about the Christmas gift? And my wife's family who is now my family is very fruitful and had multiplied tremendously... so I have to think of what presents to get for each and everyone of them. Not sure whether they like this or that... why can't they be chinese and I can just give them an angpow without thinking too much?

There are many efforts in the US now to take out the religiousness of Christmas and to make it a secular holiday. There were reports that some major stores are replacing the greeting "Merry Christmas" with "Happy Holidays" and even renaming the "Christmas tree" as the "Holiday tree". Talking about Christmas trees, my wife likes decorating for Christmas and I seem to think it is a waste of time, effort and money to buy a tree and other decorations since we don't have our own place yet. Ahhh... my inner Scrooge is manifesting now. These are some of the cultural clashes that we have. To add to my Christmas misery, malls are so packed with shoppers and most of the time, it is hard to find parking. And yes, I think that Christmas is now being too "commercialized". Haha... my wife hates this word when I mentioned it. :)

But Christmas isn't always that bad. I like the Christmas parties, Christmas songs and Christmas movies. For some people in America, Christmas season doesn't start until their Christmas movie "A Charlie Brown Christmas" is shown on tv. This cartoon classic was first shown in 1965 and it has been showing every year since. I have not really seen it before but I read that it has religious undertones in it which really perked my interest to watch it this year. It was funny and the jokes radiate even though it is now 40 years later. It was a movie which nearly didn't make it to the tv screen because television executives hated it from the start. It was criticized as being too religious—Linus quotes straight from the King James Bible (Luke 2:8-14). It was criticized for featuring contemporary jazz, an offbeat choice for a cartoon. It was criticized for not having a laugh track. It was criticized for using the voices of real children. So many criticisms but yet eventually it ignored all these negativity and became an unforgettable classic. How true this is in real life and this can teach us a valuable lesson to endure all criticisms to excel in what we believe in.

Anyway, I'm taking a vacation tomorrow to Las Vegas for the Christmas weekend. Hahaha... how ironic, celebrating Christmas in Sin City. So to end this blog, just wanna wish you again "have yourself a merry little Christmas", world peace (ala Miss Congeniality) and also be good to your neighbors. Here is one of the best scenes in A Charlie Brown Christmas...
Charlie Brown: [shouting in desperation] Isn't there anyone out there who can tell me what Christmas is all about?
Linus Van Pelt: Sure, Charlie Brown, I can tell you. Lights, please. [a spotlight shines on Linus] "And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the fields, keeping watch over their flocks by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them, and they were so afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not, for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you this day is born in the City of Bethlehem, a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; you shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel, a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on Earth peace, good will toward men'". That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie brown.

2 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey...u made me miss US so much...
sob...sob.. :'(.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Bee said...

yes, you made me miss Christmas in US....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home